La Casa Rosada (The Pink House)
Government House. Seat of the Republica Argentina’s Presidency, and known as Casa Rosada.
The building is located where there was the Real Fortaleza of Don Juan Baltazar de Austria, built by the governor Fernando Ortiz de Zárate in 1594.
As from Sarmiento’s office, in 1868, it turned to be seat of the Executive Power of the Nation.
Its gardens are from that time, as well as the color of its walls, giving it its name. Its name, and hence its color, arose out of the mixture of high-calcium lime, blood and bovine grease to waterproof the facade of the old fort.
In 1882, the president Julio Argentino Roca, ordered to demolish the last remainings of the fort and the construction of a similar building to the Post Office, that was from1878.
It had been designed by sweeden architects, at the corner of Balcarce st. and Hipólito Irigoyen st.
The alley that ensembles both bodies was maintained, with an arch in 1885, and today it serves as a framework for the main portico.
The painter Prilidiano Pueyrredón helped in this work, it was fully completed in its interior with luxury rooms with marble floors and mosaics, stairs and friezes of white marble.
Something to be remarked out of the building is its Balcony.
Its history goes back to the time President Julio A. Roca, on August 12, 1901 first appeared on the balcony, the Arch, connected the two original buildings, and the South Facade, that was demolished, breaking with the symmetry of the front part of the palace.
Once inside, there is the Salón Blanco (White Room), where the assumption ceremonies are held, together with the ministries and State secretaries’ oaths are also taken.
Also, the Patio de las Palmeras, the main open space inside the presidential palace.
One can also find busts, stairs and inner patios. As from 1957 the Casa Rosada’s Museum becomes part of the building.
There elements that had belonged to presidents are exposed. On a tour one can visit the vaults and archs of the Taylor’s Customs, built in 1855.
At the small square 11 de Junio de 1580 (located between the Rivadavia street and L. N. Alem avenue), there is the monument made out of bronze in honor of the basque Juan de Garay. Its author was the german artist Gustav Eerlein. It represents the foundation moment, and it was located near the place where this act took place.
There, a Guernica’s oak sprout was planted, as a symbol of the basque people.